Sunday, July 17, 2016

Facing Fall in July

9 x 12
oil on linen panel
Although there's nothing autumnal about this scene, painted plein air on a very hot July day,  it is so named since I was facing the Fall Pavilion in the beautiful Calendar Garden of The DeFries Garden in New Paris, Indiana. The garden is divided into the fourths, encircling this lily ladened koi pond with lovely little buildings and seasonal flowers to glorify each of the four seasons. It's also marked with each month of the year and the brick walkway is imprinted with each day plus holidays.  For details, visit the garden's designer Jon Cutrell's Flickr page by clicking here. Two artist friends and I painted in this paradise last week and though it's over an hour away, I was so impressed, I drug my husband back there yesterday so he could admire it as well, gardener that he is. It's no wonder it's a popular destination for weddings and other events. We thoroughly enjoyed the visit and the drive and I'll be painting for quite awhile from the many photos I took.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is lovely Terri! Wonderful scene and so complex. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but there's nothing like the lake on a hot day. Wawasee was great. We'll join you next year at the gardens.

    ReplyDelete