Monday, October 7, 2013

Freddie

6 x 6
oil on Ampersand panel
The last month has been a busy one with festivals, family celebrations, and other events but life is settling back to normal. I was determined to sit down and paint today and was very happy that it all rolled along smoothly. This is a portrait of my late father-in-law Freddie, a charming, intelligent, good man.  This is from a photo my husband took about a year before he died at age 93. Right up to the end he and his wife lived independently in their own home, mowing his own lawn, driving, and hanging out with his best friend, the guy next door.  He certainly lived up to the reputation of being a member of the "greatest generation".

Scott and Freddie


8 comments:

  1. Wow, he is wonderful! Beautifully done! Love the skin tones and your brushwork seems even looser! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy thank you! I used a much bigger brush than my usual comfort size for most of it. Maybe I try painting without my readers next time - Yikes!

      Delete
  2. Terri, I can feel the emotion here! I agree with Cathy about the skin tones and brushwork... beautiful! What a lovely tribute to your father in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda thank you. I thought this would be a difficult one because I wanted to really capture his personality for Scott. Instead, he practically exploded out of my brush, all within a couple of hours.

      Delete
  3. You are a really great portrait painter, Terri. I am always so impressed....congratulations on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith thank you so much. I'll try to live up to your compliment!

      Delete