Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Memory Keeper

8 x 10
oil on canvas board
I've been lately inspired by David Kassan's incredible portraits of elderly survivors, so when we visited my husband's aunt, I thought, what a perfect subject. Last spring we celebrated her 100th birthday where she was the life of the party. Although she lives in a retirement center, she's still almost completely independent in her daily routine. Sure she's a bit more wobbly than she was when she was say, only 99, and no doubt owing to this, she just recently took a tumble and buggered up a hip. When we saw her last weekend, she wasn't in her full makeup and jewelry, but she was otherwise her loving, entertaining, and positive self. Her expressions are so animated and dear, I tried capture some by taking her picture on the sly, but she's quick so this is as close as I could get. She wouldn't be happy to be caught without her makeup, but I think she's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment