Monday, July 27, 2009

Painting Exercise - N.C.Wyeth


oil on canvas

I love N.C.Wyeth. Because of his amazing paintings, I notice the intensity of the sky and clouds differently and probably a bit of everything else about nature as well. Years ago, long before personal computers and the internet, I bought a book about him that included his painting, Herons in Summer. Even though it was in black and white, I fell in love with that work and longed to see it in color. Enter the Information Highway and there it was! So this summer, when I started to try to reorient myself with painting, I copied it as an exercise. It's rough and certainly doesn't do his wonderous painting any justice, but I decided to include it in this blog as part of a "How I Spent My Summer" series. You really should give yourself a treat and Google his painting.

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with N.C. Wyeth, too. I had the great fortune to see, in the mid 1980's, the exhibit, "An American Vision: Three Generations of Wyeth Art".
    Just astounding.
    I came here by way of Different Strokes blog. It is an inspiring blog, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to see those remarkable works. I saw a similar exhibit in Chicago years ago at the Terra Museum shortly before they closed it. And yes, the DSFDF blog creates a wonderful impetus for people to paint. I'm really greatful to Karin for her inspiring works and her blog!

    ReplyDelete